Cartesian Skepticism – Neo, Meet Rene
Exercise: Please read the questions, try to answer them with a partner, and then watch the video for inspiration. Did watching it change any of the answers you gave earlier?
- Have you ever believed anything that later turned out to be false? What was it?
- How can you know whether what you believe is actually true?
- What is the name of the branch of philosophy that “is the investigation of what distinguishes justified belief from opinion?”
- Have you ever heard of Descartes? Who was he? Why do many people still consider him important?
- Do you think that scepticism is important in science? If so, how much of it is productive, and how much is destructive?
The Guardian: Trust in scientists grows as fake coronavirus news rises, UK poll finds
- Have you ever come across fake news? What was it about? Discuss with a partner.
- When you see a new article shared by your friends on social media, how often do you question its source? Are you prepared that it might actually be fake news? Discuss.
- Please read the article and reflect on its content. Then think whether you’d like to modify your earlier answers.